Tuesday, September 2, 2008

THERE'S A HOLE IN THE BUCKET, DEAR LIZA, DEAR LIZA

In the wake of the Hurricane Gustav, my hometown of New Orleans missed another disaster by very little. This time around the refurbished levees withstood the waters from this category 2 hurricane, though there was a small crack in a private levee (which I have never heard of such in my life). The country and more importantly the Republicans can breathe a sigh of relief (at least until next week because Tropical Storm Hanna is making her way towards the east coast). I guess it's too late for this Republican administration to realize you can't repair a leaking dike with a piece of tape. The moment after Katrina-- I mean the levee breaches flooded New Orleans, goverment on the federal, state and local levels should have made plans to build real levees like the ones in the Netherlands. In my lifetime, I never knew of these type of levees until Hurricane Katrina. As a child in New Orleans, you know that you live in a bowl and the perfect storm could flood the city. You know that New Orleans sits at 30 Lattitude and 90 degrees Longitude. Why? Because you know how to track a hurricane before you hit 2nd grade. You know that the small hills with the cement block walls atop them in your backyard are supposed to protect the city from flooding. As evidenced in aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the latter is not so true.
I figure that somewhere in the money used to rebuilding of Iraq (the country that we initially tore down on a false premise) or those billions sent to Iraq that couldn't be accounted for a year ago, a little of this scrilla could be set aside to protect one of this country's largest and most important ports. I'd like to think, at the least, the Repubs could find some kind of money to protect and thank the town that has probably given them so much back, as far as the chance to waddle in drunken debauchery. I mean you can't believe that former Repub Senator David Vitter was the only one getting his groove on, but I digress. We here at Bastille just wanted you guys to know that just because New Orleans survived, doesn't mean it's safe. I know what you're thinking, "Hey Rusty, that's not too funny." And no, it isn't.

Now Follow Me! Follow Me To Freedonm!

No comments: