Tuesday, March 18, 2008

STUMPY HAS BEEN FINALLY FOUND



Stumpy the race elephant has finally been found. Yes, after hundreds of years of slavery and institutionalized racism of Jim Crow, Stumpy the two-ton race elephant has been found in the family room of this 3 BD, 2 BTH, ranch house called America. Stumpy has been walking back and forth through this house, tearing up furniture, taking dumps in the living room and knocking over sh** and never been noticed. He was found this morning by Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama. Obama was forced to speak on the subject of race, after offensive, incendiary remarks against America and white people were made by his long time Pastor Jeremiah Wright. Obama was subsquently, pushed by the "talking heads" to do the perfunctory denouncing and separation of association with his pastor.

Well, he did it in brilliant (and I don't like to use that word often) fashion before an audience in Philadelphia. He started the speech off with the words:

“We the people, in order to form a more perfect union.”

He opened this speech with his ultimate goal and hopefully the goal of this nation, so fractured, by class warfare and definitely race relations. Obama proceeded to denounce his "former pastor's words"-- and those were Obama's words-- and I don't know how much further he can separate himself from the man. Well, I have an idea, but that would be called manslaughter. As I listened I felt as I was watching a historic speech in the making. There are very few times, a person can truly realize when they're watching history being made and today we saw it. I finally felt in my lifetime that a politician was speaking to me as an adult American, who can take the unfiltered, truth instead of spewing sculpted lies to me. Mr. Obama took what was to be a defensive action against a media chomping at the bit and used it to speak to America, in the manner I believe he would if he held the office of POTUS. The man was clearly presidential in this speech and not just a potential nominee. He expressed that he knows one speech cannot solve this scab on America's history, but can we at least start to address it. In my heart I believe that today's words began to bridge the gap between the "Reagan Democrats" whites and "Clinton sure was good to us" blacks. He showed both groups their good and bad qualities and hopefully that he could denounce one's words and not the person. Hopefully, people will understand that we can BEGIN, not SOLVE, but begin to tackle the problem of race and make America see it's true potential.

As I close I know that the "talking heads" will cherry pick through this speech, and magnfy and critique what they feel is important. Barack Obama displayed the qualities I think we all want in a president, a man, who responds calmly, quickly and directly in the face of adversity. Obama made a call to America to grow up and with reward of growng up there are growng pains. If Obama's call is answered by America to acknowledge and finally feed Stumpy the Race Elephant some peanuts, history could show that this speech may have been the impetus. If not Stumpy's going to starve and keep tearing up sh**.

Now follow me to freedom!

No comments: